02 March 2012

Horrible Hand Salute and TC 3-21.5.

DRILL AND CEREMONIES
TC 3-21.5 (20JAN2012)
I wanted to review how to properly execute the hand salute today. I have recently seen some absolutely horrific salutes (not current service members) and wanted to refresh my memory on the particulars. What kills me is it is not a difficult thing to do if you follow a simple trick.

Because I archived all my army publications, I have been downloading new ones from the Army Publishing Directorate. Ok, where the hell is FM 3-21.5? It was nowhere to be found.

Drill and Ceremonies is the current day incarnation of the first field manual of the United States Army. "The Regulations for the Order and Discipline of the Troops of the United States," is commonly referred to as the Blue Book and was written by the former Prussian officer Baron Friedrich von Steuben. It codified the training he gave General George Washington's troops at Valley Forge in February 1778 who were, "half-starved, wretched men in rags."

Apparently the field manual has become a training circular. Drill and Ceremonies, TC 3-21.5 (20 JANUARY 2012) was released a couple of months ago. At first glance I don't see any changes, but I might spot some as I get ready for Memorial Day ceremonies.

As for delivering a correct hand salute, just remember to "follow the buckle." On Present, ARMS put your right fingers and thumb together and move your palm over your pant buckle. Swing the arm up and out to the right corner of your eye, your eyeglasses or your headgear with a visor. Your hand will be canted the correct angle and your wrist will be straight. Just make sure your upper arm is horizontal. If your wrist is bent or elbow pointing down, remember to follow the buckle on the way up.

Also, if you are getting ready for the board, you can remember Dn'C because it has 3 letters, you offer 21 gun salutes and the Taps recording works about .5 percent of the time.